At Brookfield our mission is to provide the highest quality commercial office space, in concert with an unwavering commitment to deliver responsible environmental solutions and innovative sustainability strategies.
Environmental initiatives are a major component of Brookfield's Strategic business plan. Sustainability is a high priority for us and is treated as a key business objective, along with revenue growth and risk management. Every decision we make as a company balances both our fiscal and environmental responsibilities.
Our ultimate objective is to maximise energy efficiency and sustainability at our properties, together with the wellness and safety to our tenants, employees, and the community at large.
We achieve this through on integrated strategy based on three principles. The following principles are embedded in the Brookfield corporate culture, and are the foundation of our commitment to environmental responsibility:
- To redevelop, retrofit, renovate properties within the existing portfolio to achieve optimum energy efficiency and reduced carbon emissions.
- To incorporate innovative sustainability strategies to achieve best-in-industry environmental performance in all new office developments.
- To seek best-in class environmental certifications, take leadership positions in green industry organistations and support new initiatives that foster the energy efficiency of office buildings and sustainable communities and practices.
- Features, systems and programs that foster energy efficiency
- Average 4.8(1,2) star NABERS(3) energy rating across the Brookfield Office Properties Australia portfolio
- Average 3.7(1,2) NABERS(3) water rating across the Brookfield Office Properties Australia portfolio
- Average 5.2 (1) Star Green Star (4) design across the Brookfield Office Properties Australia portfolio.
- Voluntary participation in the Carbon Disclosure Project
- Active engagement and support of the local communities in which we operate
- As a result of climate change, there are significant opportunities in the region including moves to rail transport over road, increased demand for gas as fuel for heating and power generation and carbon capture, transport and storage
(1) Based on properties that have been rated.
- Built some of Australia’s most significant 6 Star Green Star buildings such as One Shelley Street (Sydney), Energy Australia Learning Centre (Sydney), Melbourne Convention Centre (Melbourne).
- Conducting Australia’s largest performance study with Macquarie Group, University of Technology Sydney and University of New South Wales to better understand the relationships between green ‘high performance’ building, indoor environmental quality, occupant perception and satisfaction with the workplace. .
(2) Excludes 108 St Georges Terrace.
(3) NABERS – National Australian Built
Environment Rating System. Provides 1 to 6 star rating for energy,
water, waste and indoor air quality.
(4) Green Star – Design and As Built Rating
Tool. Accredited ratings 4 to 6 stars for new construction similar to
LEED in USA and Canada.